Mosbach – Meeting of 5 twin cities in 2000
After the 150 years’ Turkish (Ottoman) occupation of Hungary many German settler-groups arrived in our country in order to colonize the ruined villages around Buda. The first German colonists arrived to Hidegkút at the beginning of the 17th century from the environs of the Black Forrest (Schwarzwald). And nearly 250 years later the Germans from Hidegkút were removed to West-Germany in two groups, based on the Decision of Potsdam passed by the Allies. In this way the Swabians got back to their early home. The majority of them live today in the Valley of Neckar River, in the surroundings of Heidelberg and Mosbach. The Motherland Society of Hidegkút has been founded for the sake of the cultivation of Hungarian roots. They held every year the Pilgrimage of Hidegkút, by turns in the motherland and in the new homeland.
The delegation of Local Government of II District and that of German minority
together with many inhabitants of Pesthidegkút arrived in the evening hours to
Mosbach, on the 6th of July, 2000. This wonderful small German town of Badenwürttemberg
gave place to the first international ceremony to which 5 twin-cities of Mosbach
had been invited. Thus the large delegates of the French Chateau-Thierry, the
former East-German Pösneck, the English Lymington, the Turkish Finike and Pesthidegkút
could meet each other, having a good opportunity to strengthen the twin-city relations,
cultivate the old acquaintances and find new friends.
Zoliborz district of our twin-city, Warsaw - 2008
Zsolt Láng, Mayor of II District and Janusz Warakomski, Mayor of Zoliborz district of Warsaw signed the twin-city agreement on 14th of March. The cooperation will be developed in the future mainly on the field of culture and education. It was not accidental that the guests timed their visit on our national holiday, since the Hungarian and Polish history had been interwoven with each other in the past centuries.
The Polish delegation was accompanied by Witold Sielewicz deputy mayor. The contacting
between the two districts has been initiated by the Local Government of Polish
Janusz Warakomski, the mayor leading Zoliborz district for one and a half year
won the elections as candidate of Law and Truth Party.
Relating about Zoliborz the mayor has pointed out, that this district belongs to such parts of Warsaw, where the inhabitants are proud of their local identity, considering themselves first of all citizens of Zoliborz and not of Warsaw. The district is special from the point of view that delegates of the local civil communities also found their place in the body leading the Local Government, not only those delegated by parties. Before he chose the political carrier, he had worked as lawyer. He already came to a conference in Budapest several years ago, but then had no occasion to visit the places of interest of our capital. He would like to achieve a stronger binding of relations between schools and cultural institutes of the two districts. He and his companion will be glad to visit the programme series of the District’s Day held in June.
Zoliborz is one of the eighteen districts of Warsaw, which is situated on the
left bank of Vistula River, Northwards from the old city. In the XVIII century
the Piarists’ local monastery had a landed property here; they contributed to
the establishment of many settlements on this area. One of these settlements was
started to be named in French style “jolie bord” meaning pretty small town. The
Polish form of this naming would indicate the whole district soon. After the suppression
of the revolt in year 1830 the Russian invading forces built up here the citadel
controlling Warsaw. One cornerstone of the building was placed by the newly-fledged
governor, Ivan Paskievics field-marshal known from the Hungarian history as well.
Following the Second World War Poland won its independence and Warsaw started
to extend quickly. Zoliborz became a district of the capital in 1920, where as
a result of a conscious town planning large parks and wide promenades were made.
One characteristic of the district is given by the houses built in modern style
between the two World Wars, the atmosphere of which recalls the spirit of the
villas of Pasarét. They survived due to the fact that after the suppression of
the revolt against the Nazis in 1944, the suppressors spared Zoliborz, contrary
to the other quarters of the town which were destroyed to the ground.
Our third twin-city, Finike – 2008
Zsolt Láng and Nail Dülgeroglu signed the twin-city agreement between the II
District and Finike city from Turkey, so besides Mosbach and Zoliborz district
of Warsaw we could develop closer cooperation with a further town. Oya Tuzcuoglu,
the recently appointed Hungarian ambassador of Turkey and Tibor Szalai notary
took part on the ceremonial event held on the 19th of May in Town Hall.
– The present agreement would bring many positive facts to Budapest and Finike. It serves for the cooperation of the two countries which becomes stronger day after day, mainly on the field of culture, education and sport, which binds together the friendship of Hungarian and Turkish people with more and more clamps.
On this event Mayor Zsolt Láng emphasized that our district was the first region
in the capital, which found out a Turkish twin-city. He mentioned that in the
future the district would make all the best to tighten this relation, not limited
to the common history and memorial from the Turkish age found in II District.
He also pointed out, that in the life of these two settlements a real partnership
hides many other opportunities.