Establishment of local part-government of the district
Pesthidegkút – a region which has exceptional geographical conditions, various
historical relics and a many-sided culture – has been populated since the very
beginning of ages and forms a well-separated district within this part of the
town. Its history that overarches significant epochs belongs to people of the
most diverse nations and religions.
In 1946 the German people of Hidegkút – the descendants of Swabian settlers determining
the destiny of the settlement since 1711 – were removed to West-Germany in two
portions, afterwards in 1950 the village was connected to Budapest, forming since
then the part of the II District.
The district received the II/a name of bad remembrance during the socialism and
in the opinion of its inhabitants it was treated as being second-rated. The local
inhabitants felt that Hidegkút was in a so called colonial fate, although – due
to the wonderful natural surroundings – it was well-situated, clear-aired and
relatively easily accessible being in the vicinity of the city centre. The leaders
of the district did not turn back the money originating from the building sites
sold on high rate into the development of the infrastructure of the area. Therefore
Pesthidegkút remained on a rural, suburban level, being attractive for many people
for that very reason. But that means an undemanding development level regarding
the sewerage systems, public roads, telephone network, shops and other mains.
After the change of regime the sounds requesting the separation strengthened
but unfortunately the required majority wasn’t achieved on the referendum held
for this purpose. In this way Pesthidegkút remained the part of the II District,
yet its positions became a little bit stronger. The question of separation came
to an end by the establishment of local part-government of Pesthidegkút district
The activity of Local Part-Government of Pesthidegkút city district
The essence and operational principle of a local part-governmental solution of
directing a city-district is the fact that in every cases which concerns Pesthidegkút,
this part-government can express its opinion. Besides the representatives from
the three individual electoral districts, together with the delegates of the parties,
the delegate body of the city-district local part-government consist of 9 persons
at present, and usually have meeting every two weeks. The Pesthidegkút city-district
local part-government takes part in the organizational work of local public services,
in issues affecting directly the inhabitants living in its competence domain,
especially in development and organization of city-district, in protection of
the built and natural environment, in maintenance of public roads and public areas,
in organization of general educational, social and cultural programmes. In such
questions the Pesthidegkút city-district local part-government has the right of
proposal-making, opinion expressing, agreement and inspection.
According to the general practice the different offices of the Town Hall of II
District’s Local Government (building construction, technologies, property management)
send the proposals relevant to Pesthidegkút district for its local part-government
and for the concerned committees in order to get a prior opinion on the subject
matter. The Pesthidegkút part-government takes up a position in each question.
In case of eventually arising authority conflicts the decisions will be brought
by the representative body of the Local Government.
In the Community House of Pesthidegkút – where the meetings of the part-government
are also held – a Community Servicing Office operates since 1992 and a Document
Administration Office since June 2000, therefore the inhabitants are exempted
from queuing, worrying, as they can arrange their day-to-day affairs on site (passport,
identity cards, address cards, applications, forms and any other information).
When starting the part-government of Pesthidegkút, the matters of constructions,
technology and the property-management were planned to be solved here as well,
but this is still under process: the development is practically on the agenda.
The creation of the suitable conditions for the overall availability of the documents
and data and the necessary managing personnel could be possible in the central
building of Mechwart Park. A real changing can be imagined parallel with the modernization
of the informatics technology that would bring into existence the virtual offices
allowing electronic administration.